Saturday, July 12, 2008

'Shift'ing pain

Some months back, it was that time of the year again.

The time when Ma proposes to learn to use the computer and the internet.

I call it the Role-Reversal carnival.
It's a subtle harbinger of the fun ( mostly) times ahead. Yes, it does gets shrieky and high pitched once in a while, but over time, I learn to behave and teach properly.

See, my deal is, there's a finite number of times I can go ahead and repeat the functions and give directions. Right?

Well, it isn't. I've learnt that finite doesn't exist when you're teaching someone something, that, for them, is as difficult as rotational dynamics was once, for you. You go through the book, learn the formulae, practice solved questions, try unsolved ones, but it's all useless next time when you pick up the book and it's all erased, like totally, and you have start afresh.
(Boy oh boy, the mere mention of that deaded subject can still bring tears to my eyes)

It so happened that I'd teach Ma her way around the computer and she'd learn to start it, go to MyDocuments, browse pictures, play Solitaire (!!) and shut it down. But something would come up that would disturb the daily practice and she'd be back to square one.
I understand that now, earlier I didn't and what followed was lectures on how I've tried so many times to make her understand this and that and crap..
It was during one of the lessons where she was stuck somewhere and asked me what to do next.

Me - Abhi bataya toh tha na, kinni baar yaar?? Yaad to karo aap.

Ma - Beta, nai aa raha na yaad.. soch rahi hun phir bhi.. bta de.. tu toh achcha bachcha hai..

Me - Ma, hadh ni ho gayi? Baar baar repeat karti rahun , aap toh try hi nai kar rahi ho? Kab tak phir se phir se bataun??

What she said next was one tight slap without any physical contact

Ma - Beta, tum log bhi bachpan mein pagal pane ke sawaal karte rehte thei baar baar.. hum logon ne kabhi bola ke kitni baar jawaab dein? Phir? Bata diya karo.. bhool jaatei hain..

That was an eye-opener big-mouth-closer for sure!

Since then, I try to be at my helpful best and I'm glad to say that she's been doing pretty well.. (well, she's almost there)

Her course content is something like this :


  • CLICKS : double, single, left and right
  • SCROLLING : The scroll button takes care of it ( thank God! )
  • IDENTIFYING PAGE ELEMENTS : sign in, log out, cancel, ok, shut down, turn off, minimize, maximize, restore, close.
  • APPLICATION PROGRAMS : She doesn't really need to learn to work on them, all she needs is to learn how to open various files and documents.
  • KEYBOARD ( saved the worst for the last ) : Just cannot say enough. This device has given me some of the most emotionally diverse moments of my Role-Reversal carnival. It has done everything from making me bang my head on the closest object to making me laugh hysterically, all in a short span of time.

Dad's favourite key happens to be ESCAPE. Kuch bhi hua, escape dabado. Next in line is, CTRL+ALT+DEL. He's good enough with computers but when he's using my system he prefers to be extra careful to avoid the tamasha I create later if something, anything goes wrong. So, you have dad, pressing away escape to glory whenever any not-so-normal dialog box appears on screen.

Mom's favourite key would be Shift. She's B-A-D at typing. What can you expect with someone who's taken a pledge to use only her single hand to type? :/ It's such a treat to watch her type. The keyboard is a maze for her in which she gets lost all the time!

So this other day, Ma had come to know of the 'underscore' and I'd told her how to put that on screen. That very day, I had taught her a lot of other things reagrding her mailbox. Obviously, she was overwhelmed and very very confused.

Don't know how it happened, she mistyped something and forgot that the backscape existed , or maybe something else. All I remember is, she was stuck. Asked me to help her, but I'm me. I told her, if she was to learn, she has to figure it out herself this time. She kept pondering over her maze, she'd approach a key, look at me to see if my face gave any hint and then move on to the next. Thinking of it now, that sure was funny! :) Out of nowhere, when nothing was happening, she goes " Shift dabadun? "

And I burst out laughing! To her, it was the final resort. Shift was her saviour. Her wonder key. It was such an innocent question that I couldn't help but do her entire work that day!

It was while working that I thought how wonderful it'd be if I could press the Shift key and do away with the problems in life.

When nothing seems right, there're paths ahead but I don't know which one to take, there aren't many people to offer support and it's me on my own, when it's all hazy and when I'm down, days when I'm hardest hit..

batao.. Shift dabadun??

56 comments:

prashant said...

bhai wid chai came yet again wid an original post:)...i mean dis happens so often wid me also.when my dad asks me to use d computer and internet i am like BANG!world war 3 is to begin...i understand it's vry important to b patient while teaching bt whn m teaching my dad i jst 4get d meaning of patience:(...bt now i hve a vry gud reason to shout:D
whn my dad used to teach me driving,he shouted lik anythng,shouting on top of his voice.do dis do dat n blah blah blah!
and now whn he does any mistake while using comp.n i lose my temper he says"a persn learns slowly n steadily beta,y r u shouting?" and thn i get a chance to say dat "dis is how it feels whn u used to shout at me while teaching me how to drive" n he remains speechless..:D wow i love it...i love it nt becoz i answer bak my dad bt dis dialougue of mine help him learn much faster(he cnt take any1 pointing finger on him na thts y;)) bt thank god atleast he is reaching thre....
so bhai wid chai vry guuud post n hopefully gud reply too:D n ya i made my id too so double bonanza:)
hehe..thumbs up:)

Bhai with Chai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bhai with Chai said...

@ prashant
congratulations on the gmail id :D

world war 3.. lol..!
I can totally understand the driving lessons you're talking about..
Infact that's what I told my dad one day.

"Just like you're so possessive of your car, I am of this computer.So please use it carefully or else I'll keep freaking out every now and then"

He's better with it now ( though the same can't be said about me and his car :D )

thanks! :)

Lucifer said...

lol...been thr done dat...finally now if my dad is expectin an imp email he jus calls me up n tells me to chk it for him...so i read d email out for him sittin 2000k's away :)

n my mom...all shez learnt is to open solitaire :)

btw thnx for d comment on my post...it really did make sense :)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ mayz
Welcome! :)
Glad you could relate! Parents , kids.. they're all similar, everywhere! :D

and what IS IT with moms and solitaire? ;)

and something I said made sense??
Wohooo! :D :D

Pooja said...

Yup...dat does happen wth me...
everytime dad mentions emails i pray i was invisible...

but alas...life doesn't hav shift...v can't escape wth jus esc...though it's hard but life s fun at times,though...:)


nice post...keep posting...

Urv said...

:D Been there. Mom had a hell of a time controlling the mouse the first time. Now she manages pretty well. Sends mails n all. N to top that uses cool lingo that even I don't :)

Aap to philosophy maarne lage yaar :)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ cutepooja
//everytime dad mentions emails i pray i was invisible...

Me too! :D aaye haaye..we're devils!

life's fun MOST of the times ya :)
*esp when 'food' comes into the picture*
Muahahahaha :D :D

thanks! :)



@ urv
Mine still can't type proper mails and send them. I do that for her but I'm hoping she's there before I'm ready to leave home.
That's a cause of concern for her too!

//Aap to philosophy maarne lage yaar

Sachchi bolun toh, didn't really want to, but likhte likhte ho gaya..!

Unknown said...

:D

Meri mummy mast hai. She learnt how to work in MS Office on her own. <3
And she loves Solitaire!

But the internet freaks her up. :D

Ah well, nice post! :)

Express said...

Haha! My mum uses MS office very well too and same pinch 2 alok this time, my mommy is dead scared of the net! and the spams on the net, baapre...

my daddy is the expert actually. I have to ask him every damn thing. But no1 in my family crosses the obsession of my bro wid computers or any kind of hardware.
He calls me "software illiterate" :-|

all well n good, u ve fun wid mommy....

but u gotta face life baby, no remote control to our lives, kash hota.....
shift dabau? LOL!

Trinaa said...

i think most parents are technologically impaired...

leave the comp.. my mum has difficulty operating a simple nokia cell..i told her (very patiently mind u) that green means receive/call n red is to end calls..n guess wht..everytime the fone rang she would press the red button n go..hello hello!..n then very nicely she would tell us that somebody is giving blank calls!!

Bhai with Chai said...

@ alok
Everyone at the chai ki dukaan, applaud for Alok's Mom!
*clap, clap, clap*
:)
Solitaire again?
*banging my head on the keyboard*

Internet doesn't freak my Ma as such, she actually gets attracted to all the colourful advertisements or the regular bolly people she sees on the yahoo page etc :D

thanks! :)



@ express
3 cheers for your dad this time then! :)
and tell bhai, you might be a computer illiterate, but you're using your education well and produce the blog as the saboot! Aaahh! ;)

I know yaar, kaaaash hota! :/
Shift toh pakka !! :) :)



@ trinaa
I'd agree. And cell phones, same pinch! I'd rather not start, else this'll end up being a complete post on it only! Wait, I can do that! :D :D

As for your mom and blank calls, ROTFL! :D Honestly!
I even told Ma Pa abhi and they had these embarrassed predictable smiles that just show that they can totally identify with it! :D
:)
thanks! :)

joie de vivre said...

dats really nice u r helpin ur mom wid her tutions in computer
i hav recently done dis wen i tried to help my mom wid an email account
how to use..wat to do and all
and i think wrd to wrd we had almost same discussion.

Bhai with Chai said...

@ joiedevivre
I hope you Mom has learnt it well by now! :)

Hemanth Potluri said...

wow ..its so sweet u helped out ur mom....some thing in common at least ..hehhe..i to helped her out..she is good in playin freecell and spider solitaire..i love her...

urs..hemu..

PS:thnks for the post reminded of my dads teaching her everything..lol...

btw blog rolled u..

Urv said...

Hota hai.. Hota hai.. Bade bade desho mein aisi chhoti chhoti baatein hoti rehti hai :)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ hemanth potluri
:)
can't believe it's solitaire again! My Ma doesn't play freecell, Pa does! :D
Welcome! :)
and thanks too!



@ urv
..Hmmm.. :)

my inner world said...

"The keyboard is a maze for her in which she gets lost all the time! "


that was hilarious :)

i have made many failed attempts to teach comp and internet to mom, i even helped her to open a yahoo account which she never ever opened it after that,hahaa. and now she dosnt want to learn it , and the excuse she gives me is that after a certain age certain things cant be learnt and the same thing applies with driving , she cant drive without me sitting beside her ,lolss

loved your post to the core :)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ my inner world
:D
Ma says the same things at times!

Thanks! :)

Sameera Ansari said...

How cute!

Very true,it ain't easy to teach at all.We realize that only when we are on the receiving end :P

Bhai with Chai said...

@ sameera
Welcome! :)

I know, but I still tell my parents "I KNOW I definitely was a smart kid.. I am sure I never bothered you with stupid questions"
;))

Nikita said...

..i must say u hav captured the experience beautifully thru words...it is a total fun read, even i have faced similar situations so many times while teachin teh basics to my mom...n i guess she is never gonna be acquainted wid this....same is teh case wid cellphones....aprt frm normal functions, she hardly remembers nething...but i know she is tryin hard this time..so wat if its teh nth time...i feel the same ven i m in kitchen, kisme kya dalega ? n kya kaha rakha hai hamesha poochhna padta hai.....so i guess this is it...teh big role reversal...

Unknown said...

Well, I was just cruzing thru, and stumbled upon ur blog, and ur very latest post. Couldnt help but read waht can only be described as something completely identifyable. I mean, I have those days when my mom had asked me to help her out with the computer thing. I wont say I was very good at it, but I did try, it was just that maybe I wasnt patient enough. But Now, after reading all this, I think I am gonna give another shot at it. Also, I mean, what your mom said was actually true. "tum log bhi bachpan mein pagal pane ke sawaal karte rehte thei baar baar.. hum logon ne kabhi bola ke kitni baar jawaab dein? Phir? Bata diya karo.. bhool jaatei hain..", It actually is true! Anyway, I loved these lines as it brought a amile on a face. Well, saying a smail would be like saying "yeah right, I topped again", so I must say I kind of laughed on my own on reading it, making my mom wonder as to what I was upto with my computer :P. The lines are, "she'd approach a key, look at me to see if my face gave any hint and then move on to the next. Out of nowhere, when nothing was happening, she goes " Shift dabadun?".."
Haha....I read these lines like over and over again.
And yeah...ur blog's on my list now! You've got a new READER! ;)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

out of all things, rotational dynamics ki yaad kyon dilai :((
it still gives me jitters aftr 5 yrs!!

Express said...

Hoi,

u ve been tagged!

:-)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ nikita
Thank you! :)
Kitchen wala point is SO valid! Coz of the breaks I take, I hardly remember the exact recipe! :S



@ gagan
Welcome! :)
Am glad you were able to identify with what I wrote!

And laughing in front of the computer while reading? And getting caught by Ma? You tooooooo? ;)
Refer here

:D

thanks for blogrolling 'reader' :D
:)


@ gunj
Ladki, dukh baatne se kam hota hai na??
:P :P



@ express
Will check it! :)
*hopping on to your page* ;)

Unknown said...

heya....ya tht shift wala incidnt was really funny n cute....well i love aunty ...so in case u cnt teach her ,i can tell her thoda bahut i knw....the entire blog was v well wrtn asusual...i really luvd readin it...endin was amazin...thumbs up 4 tht....mayank

Bhai with Chai said...

@ mayank
Heyaaaaaaa! :) :)
Tu please help mat karne aa, she'll forget the little she knows! ;P

thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

The one word that comes to my mind after reading this is "AMAZING".
The way u have written the last para "i could jst press the shift button" n escape from all the worries of my life n the way u have linked it with all that aunty was doing with the shift key is quite outstanding.
n by the way the whole incident was very very sweet.i can imagine aunty saying shift key dabaun beta?
i was feeling like main bta doon jaakar fatafat aunty ko agar isse nahi aata toh :-)
n that line "bachchpan main humne bhi tumhe kitni baar btaya hain".it so true.parents always do for their children n when its the time for children to help their parents they dont do them.
n vaise dekha jaaye toh my dad also dont know how to operate computer.He jst types his email address wherever he wants n tells me "its not opening beta".i would jst laugh n laugh.bt thn i think atleast he is making an effort n if he doesn't know how to use it.it doesn't matter coz he is excellent in his field.
n abt your teaching skills..i know..u are an excellent teacher bt at times get irritated when someone dnt rem the things which is quite obvious.bt you know how to handle diff people..thumps up to u:-)
on the whole an amazing amazing post..
waiting for some more:-)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ mohit
thanks ladke!:)

//i was feeling like main bta doon jaakar fatafat aunty ko agar isse nahi aata toh :-)

hunh.. aaya badaaa! :P

I agree with what you've said about parents doing it all, but it isn't the case that kids don't do anything
I mean.. Look at me! :D :D

Email address wala was hahaha :D
Remember Architect too??! ;)

ME and my teaching skills, thank you! *bloating* >:D<

Will write more soon! :)

Scribblers Inc said...

We have an Indian Paulo Coelho in the making!!yippee!!

nice stuff
Scribblers Inc.

Ashish Waghray said...

tum log bhi bachpan mein "pagal pane" ke sawaal karte rehte thei baar baar...

...that is so funny! :)

...and so damn true! our parents have so much patience for us. I look back and realize how mean I have been to them sometimes. I can now understand how they must have felt, when someone you love so much fails to understand you and acts selfish. seene pe choori chalane ke barabar! lovely post. and thought provoking as well.

Bhai with Chai said...

@ scribblers inc
Welcome! :)
// yippee

Lol..!
thanks! :)



@ ashish waghray
Welcome! :)
Arrei, don't take it inna seriously. We're their kids!
Thoda mean hona chalta hai.. :)
Guess all we need to do is , keep it in check!..
Parents are lovely people no doubt, but at times.. the thought process differs and that's when the mean streak you're talking of comes into the picture.. But koi na, take care from now on! :)

Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

i wasn't saying that in reference to u "that parent thing".it was a general addressing to the ppl..
i knw u r kind of a daughter of which every parent can be proud of..

Bhai with Chai said...

@ mohit
Arrei baba I know! Don't worry :)

(Infact that "Look at me" one was meant to be a lil funny :D )

//i knw u r kind of a daughter of which every parent can be proud of..

bas kar ladke! aaya badaa! :P

ps : Just in case Ma reads this comment, she'll definitely tell me to ask you to talk to her about how good a daughter I am! :D
Something like - " bete, jispar beet ti hai, usko pata hota hai "

:D :D

Lucifer said...

so aaj kal chai nahi ho rahi ya gupshup nahi ho rahi...jus dropped by to say m blogrollin ya

Anwesa said...

very interesting topic,a typical feature of almost all Indian homes..

Bhai with Chai said...

@ mayz
A lil busy , chai aur gupshup dono soon! :)
Thanks! :)


@ anwesa
Welcome! :)
yeah.. that's just what the comments show!

Aditi Joshi said...

eeeehhhh.... my story is quite quite similar to yours.... :D
cudn't stop laughing after reading the last dialogue... "shift dabaaoon?"
:P
nice work... :*

Bhai with Chai said...

@ orchid
achcha.. let's talk about it sometime then! :D
and Thank youuuu! :)
:*

Madurai citizen said...

very interesting topic,...
AMAZING
achcha..

Bhai with Chai said...

@ madurai citizen
thanks! :)

Vinz said...

came over here from keshi's comment box...

and the first write i happened to read itself was so close to me..i mean i am in the same condition as your...

Its fun and interesting to become teacher of someone who had taught you many things uptill now... [:)]
Nice post..real life..!!

Bhai with Chai said...

@ vinz aka vinu aka vinayak
Welcome! :)
Glad you could relate so well!
Thanks :)

Solitaire said...

Haha! So funny! I was like this too when I was trying to learn it all...

Bhai with Chai said...

@ solitaire
Reallly? :o
and you've graduated to blogging from that stage?!
Wohooo! Cool! :)

Anonymous said...

oh hello?
where r u new posts?
its been long since we had read sumthing interesting?
sumthing big cuming up kya?

Bhai with Chai said...

@ mohit
//something big

ya ya, if no new posts surface, speculate the emergence of a new theory!
:D :D

Reeta Skeeter said...

lol!
daba do shift!

kyamaloom said...

This touched alot of chords yaar.
Totally reminded me of the time when I was teaching my dad or mom comp.

Dad toh whenever there is something which he's not getting. HE's like woh upar cross dabaun?

And mom was like. Bas mujhe gaane aur movies dekhna sikha de. :)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ reeta skeeter
Welcome! :)
Shift? :D I wishhh!



@ sutta
Welcome! :)
cross is his wonder 'click'?! way to go! :D
escape , close.. what are they trying to tell us?! :D :D

and I've tried to teach Ma the whole CD insertion and playing it, but.. ho na saka!
:D

Nitin said...

gud one..beautifully written.. ( bit late)

~~Ma - Beta, tum log bhi bachpan mein pagal pane ke...........

expressing parents sentiments..

Bhai with Chai said...

@ nitin
Welcome! :) thanks..

ps : who's late? you in commenting or me in realizing the parents-kids situation?

Nitin said...

me in commenting...

After posting comment I realize its unclear .. then I thot let give it a try :)

Bhai with Chai said...

@ nitin
:)
you don't blog? the profile doesn't show any link..

Nitin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.